the main point of this bit is to call attention to this week's treasury. see the photo ------------------------------------>
ok, its cute and whatever but i also want to call attention to how important it is to eat and buy from our local areas. not only does the food just taste better, its better for your local community and economy.
from farm to philly's website:
Ten Reasons to Eat Local [click the link for more info]
- Eating local means more for the local economy.
- Locally grown produce is fresher.
- Local food just plain tastes better.
- Locally grown fruits and vegetables have longer to ripen.
- Eating local is better for air quality and pollution than eating organic.
- Buying local food keeps us in touch with the seasons.
- Buying locally grown food is fodder for a wonderful story.
- Eating local protects us from bio-terrorism.
- Local food translates to more variety.
- Supporting local providers supports responsible land development.
one of my favorite places to shop is at the fair food farmstand at reading terminal downtown philly. there is almost every kind of food product you can think of to purchase there. bacon, cheese, milk, bread, veggies galore and at thanksgiving and christmas you can order local turkeys and foul of all kind. if you live in the philadelphia area and haven't been there yet - GO!!
now is the best time to eat. everything at the markets [and even at the grocery stores] is fresh off some vine, stalk, or tree and ready to be devoured. what better way to celebrate the heat and the wonderful weather than to go out and support your local farms and vendors!